Well, I figured that since I have taken this great step and actually registered for the races, that I would keep a blog for the days leading up to the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend! A few things to get us started, especially for those of you that have no clue who I am and what I'm doing.
I am Dustin.
I am a Masters of Music Education Student through Boston University.
I am a CHPNA at a Hospice Inpatient facility, and have been a CNA for nearly 2.5 years.
I am a runner, currently striving to run a 10K and Half-Marathon at Walt Disney World during the runDisney 2014 Marathon Weekend!
First off, let's get down to why I am running. There are a few reasons, primarily because this was a goal of mine back in 2012, and I had a car accident in 2012 that halted me from training for the 2013 marathon weekend. That being said, I was discouraged, and really did not pursue training until I noticed that the registration was opening up this year. I said "I'm doing it, no doubt about it" and I registered on the day it opened! I am very grateful that I did register on that day, because the 10K sold out within 8 hours! I have only run a 5K before, so the 10K is definitely what I wanted to do ESPECIALLY because it is the inaugural Minnie Mouse 10K!!
I have been training using both the Jeff Galloway run-walk-run method, and am trying to stick to the Hal Higdon training schedule. I may have to modify the schedule based on the fact that my work schedule being 13 hour shifts in 2 day groupings for a total of 6 days every 2 weeks (if that sounds confusing, don't worry, it is).
Some things I have done prior to making this blog to help with my training:
I joined my local gym. This is purely for use of their equipment for when I need it (duh!) and when weather forces me to workout inside.
I mentally trained for something that will take over 2 hours by pushing myself to do 2 straight hours on the elliptical at the gym. No distance goal, no pace goal, just the sheer act of doing something for 2 hours straight. In this day and age we have everything at the push of a button, or a click of a mouse. I needed to know the other end of the spectrum.
I have re-ran a 5K in my neighborhood. While it was a bit slower time than my last 5K, it had larger elevation changes, and I had prepared less and took a few more walking breaks. Still, I came in at a 15 minute mile.
I ordered things from Amazon.com and Walmart.com to help with my running, which include a moisture wicking t-shirt, body glide, a GPS watch for spontaneous runs, and some band-aids meant to speed blister healing.
Altogether, I'm thrilled to be running!! Join me on my journey!
Where dreams come true...
D
No comments:
Post a Comment